Wednesday, December 8, 2010

When They Had An Empire

*Author's Note*
This is a poem that just popped into my head one day. I will not spoil what it is about, for that is for you to figure out. There are many things it can be about. It's up to you to choose.

When they had an empire,
the world trembled before them.
No one dared stand up,
less they be condemned.

When they hung by a wire,
they nearly fell.
But one had saved them,
from the depths of Hell.

When they were on the march,
all you could do was run.
To look back at ones you loved,
now, the ones who are done.

They caught them by surprise,
and made them hide in their demise.
Once mortal enemies, now allies,
"The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

And now the world holds strength once more,
to stand up to the ones who had beat them before.
To send men overseas, to fight tyranny,
separated many couples meant to be.

When first they met, their gain was naught.
Not a soul remained to be taught,
to fight the men who beat them before,
yet victory now, was close to lore.

Progress was made, yet progress was low.
The victory parade march was slow.
But time and time again, we pushed them back,
from the desert to the plains, to the hedges to the mountains,
our spark from before, had been brought back.

To stand against what is wrong,
you must give for what is right.
Unfortunately for many,
to give, was to die.

When the world stood against them,
they fought in need that was dire.
Now the few that remain remember back,
to when they had an empire.

5 comments:

  1. That is a really cool poem, I liked how you let us decide what is about, and the rhyming words really complimented the poem. For me it kind of sounded like World War 2, but I don't know. I thought it was so true when you said "To stand against what is wrong, you must give for what is right".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a really good job with vocabulary and the thought was really interesting. I like how you had rhyming on second and fourth lines but the other two didn't rhyme. If you were doing open form it was really neat with the different lengths of the lines, but if it was supposed to be closed form you might want to try and make the lines have more of a rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this poem, and the content of the poem was interesting and made the reader think a little bit. I personally am not a fan of closed poetry but I didn't even realize the subtle rhyming until the end, which is a good thing. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really cool, interesting poem. A lot of the vocabulary and wording was pretty advanced, and the whole idea of it really makes you think. I also liked the rhyming. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the closed format a lot. You pulled it off very well. I love how you let us decide what the meaning is, and also, it seems like you took a lot of time and effort to makes this piece solid. great job. The only thing that caught me off guard was when you had a closed format the whole way through, but you stuck in the "The enemy of my enemy is my friend", which fit the text, but didn't fit the rhyming format. I think maybe if you revised that, this would be really solid. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive